Online We Go!

     March 2020 was a month filled with many unexpected turns. For me & my fellow peers in the Tulane School of Medicine Masters of Pharmacology program, it began with the psychopharmacology exam. We learned about antidepressants, anxiolytics sedatives, and toxicology. One part of the module I found curious was the different sedatives like the melatonin agonist Ramelteon. I suffer with insomnia, so I found that lecture very compelling. Following the exam, we continued to study in preparation for the NBME. Within that week, the coronavirus began to spread to the US. Tulane began taking measures to combat the disease. The NBME was still set to continue as planned, so I was preparing myself to take reviewing all the material we had learned. The NBME ended up not taking place because all classes and tests were to be held online. I was sad that we didn’t get to take the NBME, but I am glad that I was able to review the information as if we were taking it. We may not have taken the exam, but the information we reviewed in preparation for it will help in the long run. After a week being off, it was so nice to see everyone in our first video conference through zoom. The experience this crisis has caused has definitely been one of the weirdest things to happen. The world has had to acclimate to this crazy situation and quickly jump into the twenty first century. Hoping to advance to a career in medicine, I hope this pandemic betters the world. I used to find many doctors offices were stuck in the past. The virus defiantly has made them move forward - technologically speaking. To end the month, we took the third cellular control mechanisms test. Topics like oxygen in the cell, transport, intracellular imaging and necrosis & apoptosis were covered on this exam.  Adapting to the the new social distancing starts, the test was administered online with video monitoring. Maintaining a routine during this troubling times is very important. In our environmental signaling class, I will hold an elevator talk on research I’ve done on how to stay focused and create a health environment. It has been rewarding being able to apply all things we have learned in this program when hearing research about treating this illness. I hope everyone is staying safe & keeping their social distance. I miss everyone and hopefully will be able to see y’all soon.

Until next time, 
Southern Pharm

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pharmacology Mambo

A Golden Month

Beginning with Beignets